Monday, October 16, 2006

Oh Pollocks

This week has been fairly busy. After one of my tutors, James Mayhew, astutely observed that my work didn't show much enthusiasm and that I was trying to be a good student of art rather than letting myself go and just doing what felt natural (I'm paraphrasing, he was much more eloquent than this), I've had to rethink my project. I thought toys would be fun, but they didn't sound like a serious thing to do. I was still in my 'good student' mind set. Then the next day I happened to see a 2nd year MA student's work and it really impressed me. Coincidentaly, he'd chosen toys when he's done the module I'm doing. On Saturday I went to Pollocks Toy museum which is near Goodge Street Station in London.

I was there about 3 hours and I don't feel like I got much done in that time. Below is probably the best drawing I did there, which happened to be the first too. It's not so easy to see, but the Robot was fun to do. It was reflective silver, I'm not sure if it looks that way in the drawing or not.

Then I went to Hamleys and drew kids. I don't recommend that any men with beards do this on their own, you'll get some very suspicious looks from parents. After that I met with Wayne and we went to the Tate and some great art shops and saw 'The King' at the NFT.

Sunday was at the Zoo. Again the first drawing is the only one I'll post, the others got worse and worse. Not sure if this was flagging enthusiasm or just being tired, I'd been walking almost constantly for 14 hours on Saturday.


No comments: