Saturday, September 23, 2006

Expanding visual vocabulary

I recently bought a book by oliver jeffers called "The Incredible Book eating Boy" and I just love it. This guy and Shaun Tan are now my favourite children's book illustrators. Since the last post I've been doing more fiddling in Art Rage 2 and done several sketches, most of which I've been too lazy to scan in yet, but I will. Here are some recent works, quite messy but there's something about them that appeals.


The cat I've drawn a few times now. If I can get the look of it right I might do a short story based on it. The previous story has hit a problem in that I can't work out a good way to illustrate a cat eating the sun. I can think of lots of bad ways, nothing seems right.

Also had a chat with Paschal and Ian at work. I need to work on colour and construction, and also composition. I got a brief perspective lesson too.

No comments: