Wednesday, August 16, 2006

In the Beginning

I began reading Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain on the 27th of July 06 and started doing the excercises. I started with trying a self portrait.


Awful. And then followed the book, producing these:

This first one is the classic 2faces/candle holder image, and on the same page a drawing of my left hand.

This one is a copy of Pablo Picasso's 'Portrait of Igor Stravinsky' which I drew upside-down so that I focused on relationships of lines rather than see the object as it is and allow my brain to do shortcuts.

This a chair in my kitchen. I've never drawn a chair before because it never seemed very interesting. Using the book though I was able to see the chair as a collection of shapes and negative spaces which made it quite interesting to draw - if not interesting to look at.

A copy of John singer Sargent's 'Mme. Pierre Gautreau'.


That's most of the sketches from starting to read the book until 02.08.06

No comments: